The Ma’aden Aluminium Company was formed in 2009 as a joint venture between Alcoa and the Saudi Arabian Mining Company. Ma’aden Aluminium has invested $10.8 billion to build the largest and lowest-cost integrated aluminium facility in the world. The fully integrated facility includes a bauxite mine, alumina refinery, aluminum smelter and aluminum rolling mill. The integrated facility is located at Ras Al Khair, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, with the Al-Ba’itha bauxite mine 600kms away. The alumina refinery has a capacity to produce 1.8 mtpa of alumina and the smelter 740,000 mtpa of aluminium.
IMS Service Provision
In mid-2014 IMS was awarded a contract to provide technical support services for operational and technical readiness at the Refinery. These services included:
• HSE Specialist to conduct audit on implementation of construction hand-over process to commissioning and operations
• Technical training services in the Refinery Laboratory including setting up the laboratory and training local Saudi employees in laboratory techniques and operational processes.
At the Al-Ba’itha Mine site, IMS provided resources to assist in the planning and supervision of construction and commissioning of the Conveyor and Crusher. Technical services included:
• Electrical Construction Coordinator
• Health and Safety Consultant for commissioning
• Training Specialist to train local Saudi employees in mobile plant and mine equipment
Aluminium Rolling Mill
During 2016 IMS provided a Technical Specialist engaged to develop and optimize the MES, OTC, ASRS, and automation systems for the Rolling Mill at Ras Al-Khair.
DurationJuly 2014 – October 2016
- Alumina Refinery experience and knowledge
- Competent technical resources supplied
- Construction expertise in crusher and conveyor systems
- Aluminium Rolling Mill software integration