The Fluor & SKM Iron Ore Joint Venture – also known as the FAST JV, began in April 2008. The original Project Manager – Mine and Port Development Joint Venture (MPDJV) was formed in 2001, similarly between Fluor Australia and SKM to execute BHP Billiton Iron Ore’s Asset Development Projects (ADP).
Since 2001, the Joint Venture has expanded BHP Billiton’s Iron Ore Pilbara operations to increase installed capacity by 60 million tonnes per annum (Mtpa). Past expansion projects include:
- Mining Area C- The first construction project which created the mining hub known as Area C.
- Product & Capacity Expansion – PACE followed which included upgrades at Port Hedland, to rail and mine site construction.
- Rapid Growth Project 2- RPG2 incorporated upgrades at Port Hedland (namely Car Dumper 4) and the Minesite Orebody 18.
- RGP3- Increased BHP Billiton Iron Ore’s capacity again by constructing new yards at Port Hedland and the development of a Minesite E Deposit and expansion a Mining Area C. HHHH
- RGP4- Created a larger handling capacity at Port Hedland and at the Newman Hub. The mining process was streamlined through having all of the crushing and screening at the mines instead of at the port, hence reducing the environmental footprint.
- WA Iron Ore Growth- Incorporated the development of the new Yandi mining hub, the duplication of 285km + of mainline rail, and the construction of two new berths with shiploaders at Port Hedland’s Finucane Island.
IMS Service Provision
• Provision of Industrial Relations Manager
• Provision of Indigenous Employment Coordinator
• Provision of Safety Advisors and Safety Superintendent
• Provision of Accommodation Coordinator, Site Administration Manager, Administration Officers and Site Secretary
DurationSeptember 06 – March 2015
By end 2013 the Indigenous Training Program led by IMS Consultant achieved outstanding results on the BHP Billiton Iron Ore Rapid Growth Projects with 177 graduates completing this program.